Saturday, October 17, 2009

Organized chaos: Driving in Taiwan


I believe that I have mentioned it before, but just as a reminder part of my daily activity to get to work is riding a scooter. With my last job I drove just under half an hour north, away from the city, to get to my job, and now I drive almost exactly 30 minutes south, into the city, to get to work. And for anyone who has not had the pleasure of driving outside the U.S. I will try my best to describe the experience.

Before I get into the explanation, let me preface it by saying that I have driven in many different kinds of conditions. From the back-roads of Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, which is an experience in itself. To the crowded roads and highways such as Oklahoma City, Dallas, San Antonio, and what I personal consider the most arduous, Austin. I even gave my uncle and brother quite a scare when I was 15 my my uncle let me drive through heavy traffic in Titusville Florida (http://www.titusville.com/). At one point I looked over my shoulder to see if it was safe to change lanes and I saw my brother in the back seat through a towel over his head and I assume started praying at that moment that he would service that adventure. Which I guess his prayers worked because we arrived at our destination unscathed. That might also be the reason the only other time I was allowed to drive was on a back road at night after we had eaten out. But I have digressed long enough and need back to my driving in Taiwan, which is nothing like I have experienced in the States. Even including being driven through L.A.

Now let me set the stage. You may think I am joking or being sarcastic, but I could say that there may be as many scooters in Taiwan as there are people. For that reason most roads are made with extra room or an extra lane for the scooters. This can be anything from a line from the edge about four or five feet wide, we call those small shoulders in Texas, to a full size lane that a car can drive through, which they usually do. On major roads in large cities, there is actually a divide between the “scooter land” and the “main traffic;” sometimes it is questionable which is the main traffic except for which is the bigger vehicle. And scooters and motorcycles are not allowed on the Main interstates, which is a very good thing. This is part one.

Part two of understanding what driving is like, is realizing that the traffic laws are pretty much the same as those in the states, the rules of the road are vastly different. One way in which this is seen is when scooters are mixed with the rest of traffic. It is not this nice scooter, car, scooter car line that we see with motorcycles in the states. It is a mixture of cars and scooters moving around each other trying to find what space is available without smashing into each other. Think about putting large marbles and frozen peas in a jar then pouring them as fast as possible across a smooth floor. The sight borderlines the precision of a marching band as they weave in and out of each other and with rhythm and grace and that of a elementary school playground where kids are running in a hundred different directions. You know at some point someone is going to collide into someone, else and that it will not be a pretty sight. (FIND PICTURE)

Despite the danger and possibly the insanity of it, I still enjoy driving my scooter. I like the freedom it brings, as well as feeling the wind as I drive. I do wear a helmet which fully covers my head. I do this for two reasons. First, with my mom being a nurse and having studied a bit of anatomy, I know how dangerous a head injury can be to someone who rides a “bike.” Second, is being hit in the face by a bug while driving over 20mph is painful.

While I could still go on I believe I have written enough on this subject for now. Also, the fact I haven't been involved in a serious accident is a tribute to the protective had of God. Plus this is also a way you can keep me in your prayers. Travel mercies may not sound like a serious request, but if you have ever been in a
serious accident or know someone who has, Then you know the importance of not getting hurt; whether is is a couple of blocks away to the store, or on the other side of … whatever.

Thank you for all your prayers and words of encouragement. Know that you are in my heart and prayers as well.

Blessings in the name of whom all blessings flow.

Joshua

1 comment:

  1. The pictures you see are ones I found on the net and not any that I have taken, simply because I still don't have a digital camera. However none of the pictures surprised me or made me say "wow."

    ReplyDelete