Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Year in review

I guess my writing is like the elusive ground hog. It only comes out now and then, and when it does it is a big deal. I however make no claim about the weather, but I know him who controls the weather.

Over the last year a lot has happened, as you can imagine. I will try to give bite size portions to what has been going on.

Back in February last year I had a friend who I served with in China visit. We traveled a bit here in Taiwan and it was good to see him and talk about old times, as well as what the Lord was doing in our lives. Also back in February I joined a group of friends and we traveled around Taiwan together during Chinese New Year. We spent the first part of our trip on the east coast viewing some beautiful scenery and enjoying some hot springs. The second half of the trip we stopped in two cities on the West coast, as we made our circle around the island, and did some outreach. We worked with two different churches and went out on the street doing performances and trying to talk to the people and invite them to church. One more thing that happened in February is I stated leading a Bible Study on Saturday nights at the cram school I teach at. Most of the kids are "encouraged" to come so they are really not that interested in studying the Bible, however I am doing my Best to at least plant the seeds and pray that God will bring his fruit in His Time.

In March I started meet with the college students again at lunch, however the attendance went to an average of 20 students per class and I was out at the school 4 times a week. I also started formally taking Chinese class at the same school, but different campus. My Chinese is still not good, but I have a teacher and classmates to push me along.

Also, at the end of March last year my roommate moved out to pursue his MA. He is living in California, working with a church. And last I heard he is going to travel to Mainland China this summer.

In July our team had a small team from the states come and help with a youth outreach. We had about 40 to 50 students show up each day for the two weeks we had the 'camp.' I found out recently that one of the youths wanted to become a Christian, but his parents would let him because they want him to be a Buddhist. Strange though because they have sent him to all the summer programs the church has had over the last 4 years.

In July a I got a Taiwanese roommate for five months. He is a Christian who was going to our church while he was down in Kaohsiung, and he helped out with the youth. Overall I found it a good experience. There were some difficulties, but that is to be expected with any roomate.

August, several partners left Taiwan to return to their respective homes in North America. This was a bit difficult, because I was(am) friends with them, and I lost the company of several friends.

In September the university started up again and once again I was working with the students. However this time I reduced how many times I was going out to the school so I would burn myself out.

November and December went by without any real big change.

I didn't do much for Christmas, but I was able to enjoy a nice Christmas dinner with some friends, so that was nice.

For New Year I just hung out with some friends. And I believe January was a bit uneventful, though I was getting ready for a break, and luckily one was coming up.

The big holiday here in Taiwan is "Chinese New Year." I went with some new friends to some hot springs for a day, then went with them to their family dinner. It wasn't an exciting time, but a restful time and that is what I needed. On a tangent note, I would like to encourage anyone that has an international friend to invite them to your home for a family dinner. They are far away from home without their family, and it is such a blessing to not have to spend those holidays alone.

As far as prayer request; Pray for my motivation. I didn't really have a summer vacation or even a break. I am a bit tired and could use a bit of rest. Pray that I am granted strength and endurance to not only carry on but also still be a light shining for our Lord.

As February ended and March has come upon us, I am getting a chance to come home for a short vacation, and see my dad get married. I look forward to spending time with my family and hopefully some friends.

As far as prayer request:
Pray for spiritual strength. This is a land where people have a plethora of gods, and there are idols and temples all over. And because of that there is a real spiritual battle that is being waged.
Pray for my Chinese. I need to learn more and be a better student.
Pray for Taiwan. According to OMF(Oversees Mission Fellowship) websight http://www.omf.org/taiwan "Taiwan is the only Chinese-majority society where spiritual breakthrough is still awaited"


Thank you for your continued prayers and I hope to be able to more responible in updating you.

Blessing as always in Jesus Wonderful name

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment